Board Meeting Minutes

California Historical Radio Society

 Minutes of Board Meeting

April 18, 2014

Meeting Held at Radio Central

Present:

Board Members:

Jaime Arbona, Secretary                                         Bart Lee, Counsel Emeritus

Richard Watts, Treasurer                                         Philip Monego, Director at Large

Steve Kushman, President (Presiding)                 Scott Robinson, Vice President

Tom Bonomo, Name Badges                                    Dennis Monticelli, Member at Large

Other Attendants:

 

Walt Hayden                                                              John Staples

Jim Brandt                                                                 Seth

Robert Swart                                                            Giles

Buck Shram (Visitor)                                                            Paul Shinn

Called to Order at 9:25 AM

New Business:

  1. Steve introduces Buck Schram, son of Jerry Dean of KJAZ on-air fame who wants to volunteer and donate some of his Dad’s memorabilia. Buck is welcomed.
  2. Building History: Discussion of restoration of façade of building. While no motion is made, it is generally decided that such a project, while worthy in the future, should not be considered at this time. Higher priorities of infrastructure, termite issues, roof, drainage, utilities, etc must take precedence with our current resources. It is decided however that we must keep in mind this eventual restoration while constructing interior improvements. Philip and Tom volunteer to investigate options regarding the possible cost of the façade restoration. Steve suggests using library designer Mark Hulbert of Preservation Architecture in Oakland as a resource. Richard Watts reports that Robert Swart will be getting some more historical materials from the Alameda Historical Society.
  3. ADA Compliance: general discussion of City of Alameda’s requirements. Steve has determined that two stair-climbers and bathroom updates will satisfy our ADA requirements.
  4. KSAN Re-Union fundraiser & show: Steve reports that Big Brother & Holding Company will perform…Yoshi’s to be venue is confirmed…In Cold Blood and Imperial Messenger Service also confirmed. Discussion of silent auction to be conducted at event: we need six good (valuable) radios to sell from CHRS collection. Also needed are donations to be sold as well as volunteers to conduct the auction. Steve reports that Stan Bunger’s son works for Fender Guitars and may be able to supply a guitar to be autographed by performers and then auctioned off.
  5. Radio Day July 26th: Alameda Theater turns out to be a ‘no-go’.   High School theater one block away is available, affordable and could be the perfect venue for auction given the seating and possible musical attractions CHRS generally has at this event. General Discussion of moving auction items from Radio Central (RC) to the auditorium to be sold vs having a showing of them at RC and a video presentation of them at the auditorium but leaving the actual pieces at RC. Discussion of impact on neighborhood of members/visitors moving back and forth between the two venues.   Also a discussion of using food trucks vs providing our own regular fare. It is expected that the trucks will donate some percentage of their sales to CHRS. Discussion of Alameda Naval Air Museum as venue given it’s extensive space and low (free?) cost.

Motion Made Steve: to use Kaufman (High School) Auditorium.. Seconded: Scott.

Motion passed unanimously.

 

  1. Richard Watts’ financial report. Another $8,000 in donations has come in since last week. We are still $100,000 short of our goal but still have some $55,000 to start construction…Escrow is now fully-funded. Side discussion on likely cost of property taxes.
  2. Steve reports on permitting issues: He has spoken with Greg McPhan of City of Alameda who says that permits should be easy to get. Owner/builder can get permits as easily and quickly as a contractor can get them. McPhan suggests getting a General Contractor to supervise our work and deal with inspectors. Buck Shram volunteers to assist in this and select a GC familiar with the City’s requirements. Steve reports that most permits take 5 – 14 business days to get. Valuation of permits: City uses State Standards in assigning estimated costs of projects and thus fees associated with them. Permits needed just for permanent changes.
  3. ADA compliance issues: Steve reports that if we spend $140,000 a rule kicks in requiring full ADA compliance. Otherwise, we must spend 20% over our permitted improvement cost solely on ADA or ADA assistive improvements. McPhan suggests we bundle three years’ worth of projects, valued at $25,000 or less and gradually implement them. Steve suggests the stairclimbers alone could satisfy that. General discussion on ‘bundling’ projects. Steve reports that the Sewer Lateral does not require the 20% ADA override.
  4. Steve and Scott lead discussion of priorities in projects and improvements; Scott will oversee the build-out of the Shop, and this is determined to be a high priority as restoration a very important issue with our membership. There is an issue with sheer-walling in that part of the building because of asbestos covering of interior walls and likely on outside of building. Walt will contact our asbestos contractor about possibly mitigating asbestos problem in that area as well as main hall.   Walt says original estimate from this contractor of $7,500 was for removal of material in main hall only (removing T-bar for suspended ceiling to add $500). A bid will be asked for addressing shop area and removing soffets in main hall. Discussion on whether or not permits will b required for this work.
  5. The library is also a very high priority particularly since setting it up will free up storage space currently used by stacked book shelves.
  6. Steve reports on various operational matters: He is getting bids from three companies for rolling storage…the new POTS line has been ordered and will be installed soon…Steve also has appointments with floor covering contractor for zipper tile as well as Abbey Carpet (for different areas of RC)…North American Alarm has been contacted re establishing service on the new POTS line (in conjunction with DSL service) and activating fire alarm.
  7. General discussion on heating system. Bart expresses safety concerns about gas heating and cooking. Pros and cons are studied. No resolution; matter tabled.
  8. Shed for out back: General discussion of needs and options. Steve will contact Toughsheds about a custom unit…it is determined that we cannot retrieve metal sheds from KRE site as they will not survive the move…various sizes of wood sheds discussed. It is estimated that $2,000 – $2,400 should buy us one large or two smaller conjoined units to fit across back of lot.
  9. Playground equipment. General discussion; CHRS wants to donate same to Church…methods of removing playground equipment are discussed. No decision on which method to employ pending further study of how climbing structure(s) were originally installed.
  10. Locks on Doors: Larry Drees has volunteered to re-cylinder the locks at RC.
  11. Robert and Walt volunteer to retrieve some tools from KRE and trash bags for leaves on roof of RC which are to be removed next weekend.

Break

 

Reconvene 11:25 AM

 

  1. Scott’s list of repair items to be addressed at RC is discussed. General discussion of priorities and costs. Outdoor shed is estimated to cost $7,500 fpr a 12’x32’ unit from Toughshed based on a quick look at internet site. Steve to investigate setback requirements of Alameda (from adjacent lot).
  2. Discussion of Top Priority Rooms: They are determined to be: (1) Library downstairs (2) store/gift shop in front of building and (3) shop space in rear of RC.  Discussion: it is decided that library shelves should all be painted on the bottom for protection against moisture since they will be below grade. Discussion of using spar varnish vs. paint……Paint is suggested for lower portions of glass display shelves for store that need attention. Carpets vs tile or linoleum: merits of each discussed but decision tabled as lower priority….General discussion of trying to anticipate lighting needs for library….mold in janitor’s closet discussed though no decision reached on specific action….Discussion of termite protection: it is determined that South wall must be opened to inject chemical protection….discussion of sewer lateral; it is decided that the sewer lateral contractor can repave where he trenches. There is another quote for $1,900 for creating a berm to help control water drainage.
  3. Steve reports that he’s contacted an stair-climbers company and it is only feasible on one side entrance. A ramp may also be required for ADA access.
  4. TASKS FOR NEXT SATURDAY : General discussion of what to do for first volunteer day after taking possession. These are determined to be: (1) pull up some carpet in Shop Area to determine subflooring condition and thus covering possibilities. (2) contents of library room to be moved upstairs so library room can be cleaned & painted and prepared for moving shelving in. Discussion of library room needs/layout. It is determined to avoid carpeting in library due to basement level and possible water ingress. Paint or possible rollable vinyl covering to be determined during cleaning process…Scott to buy product to apply to lower portion of library shelves.
  5. Discussion of Portable Storage POD tabled.
  6. For Saturday: Shelves to be painted on bottoms and (2) walls of library to be washed with TSP. Jaime volunteers to purchase TSP, buckets and brushes.
  7. Removal of playground’s Log Cabin to be put off until following Saturday.
  8. Meeting moves to various parts of building to inspect and plan.

 

Motion to adjourn at 1:55 PM Seconded and passed.

 

Secretary Jaime Arbona reporting.

California Historical Radio Society

Minutes of Board Meeting

 April  21, 2012

Held at KRE Conference Room

Present:

Mike Adams, Chairman                                               John Staples, W6CF Trustee

Richard Watts,  Treasurer                                           Philip Monego, Director at Large

Steve Kushman, President  (Presiding)                   Scott Robinson, Vice President

Tom Bonomo, Name Badges                                      Jaime Arbona, Secretary

No other attendants or guests.

Called to Order at 12:50 PM

Old Busines

•           Studio A update:  No developments to report.

•           Ham Radio Events:  No one present was aware of any planned Ham events.  Short discussion. Members Bart Lee and Paul Shinn to be contacted for updates.

•           CHRS Classes: Steve reports that classes are now scheduled and will be posted to website. Short discussion of dates, instructors and related points.

•           Audio Transfers: Steve reports that David Vasquez is prepared for first post onto web of transferred program ET.  Discussion about audio quality vs bandwidth and possibility that David may need help with project.

•           BARHOF Voting:  Tabled as member David Jackson not present.

•           Building Purchase:  Jaime reports that there have been no changes to report as slow progress of ICBC BK proceedings must run their course before subject can be re-opened.

•           Chairs, refrigerator, dehumidifier; Steve reports 50 new folding chairs have been ordered and are coming next week.  Fridge and dehumidifier purchases have been approved but not ordered yet by Steve.

•           Planning and Estate for July auction; Steve reports that thumb drive full of photos of of radios being delivered for consignment sale has arrived and he and Richard Watts concur that there may not be a lot worth selling at auction. Al l these items have been appraised and Steve is waiting for this information.

•           Working Displays:  Scott has not been able to address project of having crystal and battery sets restored to working condition.  He reports Gilles is building a distribution head for powering sets in the TV room and but one for radio room more difficult due to various voltages needed by old radios.  General discussion of possible solutions and what finished project may look like.  Tom suggests purchasing separate battery eliminators and will look into pricing options.  Discussion of creating a display of later vintage sets (non-crystal or battery) and possible recreation of a vintage work station or home setting featuring working sets.   Jaime suggests purchase of SST transmitter for meets and functions at KRE that can either play pre-recorded, internet or other content produced live at KRE.  Scott to test a signal generator at KRE; a positive result triggering purchase and installation of SST.

New Business

 •           Treasurer’s and Membership report.  Reported by Richard Watts that renewal payments are very slow this year.  Discussion of conducting another ‘reminder’ mailing as reminder; discussion of mailing journal to all members in spite of current or unpaid status;  Philip to conduct mailing of Journals to ‘late renewal members’ with special insert; Jaime to conduct mailing  Journals to ‘current’ members.  Scott questions whether auto-renewals can be set up with member’s bank accounts and clubs; Richard thinks may be possible.  Richard describes how he’s integrated the various CHRS accounts into various  QuickBooks categories  (from Quicken) and presents list of same for approval. Discussion of posting Richards’ reports on site but determination made to just advise members to contact Board if they have questions regarding CHRS financials

•           Sacramento and Central Valley Chapter (CVC); Steve reports on very active chapter with regular meetings, events and pot lucks.

•           Journal: CHRS Spring/Summer 2012 issue has been completed and samples distributed to Board.   Will be mailed this week to membership.

•           Website Comments:  Mike reports on integrating SOWP website into CHRS one. Also on changing of slideshow on CHRS Home Page.  Video of his presentation on Lee DeForest now posted.  Also links to Amazon for his book and John Schneider’s to be implemented.  Discussion of possible use of fulfillment service (no resolutions) and CHRS’s portion of sales of Schneider book.  Tom requests restoration articles for website.  Jaime suggests increasing links with other collecting clubs.

•           Oxnard Radios: Jaime and Philip to possibly coordinate May 1 visit to SoCal to pick up ‘Baby Stratosphere’ radio and drive back.

•           Schneider book sales:  Steve reports 22 books sold at recent Legends luncheon.

•           Will Rayment book:  tabled as Bart Lee not present and is point person.

•           Stratosphere Society; Discussion of various plaques for various levels of donations to CHRS.  Steve can order plaques.

•           Coleman Project Radios and Storage: Steve says most of storage goes to JC parts/project sets.  Discussion of possible disposition alternatives.   Determined that eventually these to be sorted and those sets that are relatively complete but unassembled can be sold at KRE meets.  Jaime suggests purchase of display ad in ARC to expedite sale of JC radios and this was approved.

•           Alameda Flea Market: Seth Arp has offered to sell JC radios at Alameda Flea Market and this prospect discussed.  Determined that SA to be advised against this as projected sales not worth the required investment of money and effort.

•           SOWP update; Steve K reports that SOWP ‘s treasury of $9,000 is to be transferred to CHRS treasury and he has been advised by family to expedite this due to age of SOWP treasurer. Discussion of SOWP website being co-housed by company providing CHRS site.  Mike to check with Max on this.

•           History San Jose; Steve reports on collectable transmitter being sold by HSJ to private collector without first consulting with CHRS in contravention of verbal agreement to do so.  Determined that a letter from Steve thanking HSJ for past donations and reminding HSJ that CHRS continues to display artifacts and interested in more HSJ divestitures.

Motion to Adjourn (JA) 2:20 PM

Seconded (PM).

Motion Passed.

Future Business/Action Items:

 1.         Scott:

(1) To test Signal Generator as precursor to possible SST transmitter purchase.

 

2.         Steve:

(1) To order refrigerator and dehumidifier.

(2) Draft letter to History San Jose     regarding their future divestitures and CHRS’ continued        interest in them.

(3) To remind SOWP of transfer of $9,000 treasury to CHRS.

 

3.         Tom:

(1) To price possible purchase of 10 battery eliminators for battery sets on display.

 

4.         Jaime:

(1) To place display ad in ARC for radio-attic page.

(2) Possible purchase of SST Transmitter based on Scott’s test.

(3) Co-ordinate with Philip on possible joint trip to SoCal May 1st.

(4) Mail journals to current members.

 

5.         Philip:

(1) mail journals to ‘non-current’ members.

(2) to coordinate with Steve on creation           of levels of Stratosphere Society and required             plaques.

6.         Mike:

(1) to speak with Max regarding moving hosting of SOWP website to same service as         CHRS.