Radio Day 2015 –
A Huge Success
See the Videos
Radio Day By The Bay 2015 – LIVE! in Alameda. CHRS’ terrific yearly fund raising event was a tremendous success. This is our main source of income for the year so we really needed your support… And everyone came through with flying colors!
- Event Attendance – Holy Cow! Paid attendance this year was 358 as compared to 180 last year. Including the WOTW cast, the orchestra and our volunteer crew, we had an attendance of about 400! Yea!
- Thank You Stan! – KCBS Morning News anchor Stan Bunger did another great job for us our Master of Ceremonies! We can’t thank Stan enough.
- Auction Results and Unsold Items Update – Our Radio Day 2015 auction went very well. We had 65 bidders and took in over $15,000. Over 75% of our items sold. Another chance on remaining items this Saturday. They will be sold for the starting price. Thank you bidders for your support. And thanks to our expert Auctioneers Peter Finch, Renee Richardson, Mike Adams and Stan Bunger.
- The Golden Gate Radio Orchestra – Was a Hit! Thanks for your participation. The nostalgic sounds of yesteryear filled the auditorium to the enjoyment of all! CLICK HERE FOR THE GOLDEN GATE RADIO ORCHESTRA
- “War of the Worlds”– The CHRS Radio Dog Theater in its debut performance presented “War of the Worlds” LIVE on stage. This 2015 work was based on the 1964 KPEN version. It was Directed by Terry McGovern and featured Michael Bennett, Stan Bunger, James Gabbert, Gary Gielow, Steve Kushman, Monterey Morrissey, Celeste Perry, Kevin Radich and Kim Wonderley. Live sound mix by Dan Healy. Sound effects and music design by Bob Brown. Adapted by David Jackson. Produced by Steve Kushman. Our deepest thanks go out to all these fine actors, technicians and our Director Terry McGovern for donating their time and supporting CHRS. This was the hit of the Day! Over 300 guests filled the Kofman Auditorium and were mesmerized by this radio classic. CLICK HERE FOR THE “WAR OF THE WORLDS” VIDEO
- Huge Electronics Flea Market – CHRS Director Denny Monticelli prepared and managed a swell Flea Market again this year. Lots of happy people gave homes to many great Flea Market finds. Treasures left Radio Central in large numbers. BTW, Flea Market proceeds were almost $5,800!
- Silent Auction – CHRS Super Volunteer Cynthia Edwards Reinholtz, created and presented a very special Silent Auction for us featuring 50 great items. This is our first Silent Auction as part of Radio Day. And it paid off nicely. Silent Auction proceeds were $4,000! Thanks Cynthia.
- BARHOF Class of 2015 Announced – KOSF’s Celeste Perry & Terry McGovern made the big announcement. Some highlights are: Dusty Street and Lissa Kreisler as Program Hosts, John Madden in Sports and Harvey Stone as Executive / Manager. CLICK HERE FOR THE COMPLETE BARHOF CLASS OF 2015.
- Kevin Payne and Cliff Farwell Named CHRS Volunteers of the Year – Two people who have shined and really have shown their passion for CHRS are Kevin Payne and Cliff Farwell. The CHRS Board of Directors are proud to name Kevin and Cliff as our 2015 Volunteers of the Year. Kevin has been updating the ancient electrical system in Radio Central. And Cliff has been involved in many projects including our new woodworking shed and hot water system, among others. You will see them on many week days at Radio Central as well as Saturdays. Thank you Cliff and Kevin for all your hard work! CLICK HERE FOR THE CHRS VOLUNTEERS OF THE YEAR
- The Bottom Line – It Was a very good Day for CHRS. Our preliminary reports tell us that after expenses, CHRS netted over $24,000! Not bad for a day’s work! Thank you to all of our supporters!
- We Could Not Have Done it Without:
Richard Watts and Walt Hayden – Main Cashiers
Reina and Robert Swart – Museum Storekeepers
Kevin Payne – CHRS Greeter
Mike Tanaka and Steve Stephens – Parking Crew
Scott Robinson – Museum Docent
Eddie Enrique, Jerry Davis, Don Butterfield and John Wallin – Auction Item Attendants
Bart Lee – W6CF / Maxwell Library & Archives
Judy Mears, Cindy Maxwell, Cathy Hogan, Susan Monticelli, Debbie Santa Maria and Grill Master Larry Drees – CHRS Doggie Diner Team
Denny Monticelli, Gilles Vrignaud, Seth Arp, Dave Harris and Kent Leech – Flea Market Crew
Len Shapiro and Jon Winchell – Kofman Lobby Crew
Cynthia Edwards Reinholtz and Holly Higgins – Silent Auction Team
Lou Rinaldi, (Stage Manager), and Robby Weinberg – Stage Crew
Paul Bourbin, (Proxy Bidder), and Heather Mehischau – Auction Loggers
Mike Adams – Photo and Video Archive – CLICK HERE TO VIEW
Dave Billeci – Video Streaming and Archive to YouTube… soon.
Dan Healy – Live mix and staging for “War of the Worlds”
Bob Brown – Sound effects and music design for “War of the Worlds”
In Addition: Many hours of work were put into the preparation of Radio Central for Radio Day. A special Thank You goes out to Legendary Volunteers of the Year, Walt Hayden, Robert Swart and Larry Drees who who worked many week days to get RC ready. And also a special thanks to Kevin Payne, Walt Hayden and Cliff Farwell for replacing our antique, inefficient hot water heater with a modern, efficient tank-less unit.
All these people, some who have volunteered many times before, made this event a pleasure to be involved with. The high level of hard work and enthusiasm for CHRS really showed. The event ran quite smoothly due to the diligence of our Volunteers. As we have stated above… “We couldn’t’t have done it without You!” Thanks to each and every person who had a hand in making Radio Day By The Bay 2015 a tremendous success and “The best one ever”. Let’s strive to do even better next year for “Radio Day By The Bay 2016 – LIVE! In Alameda, July 23rd 2016!
The 2015 Radio Day Video and Photo Record